Food in Gran Canaria
Very special connotation has the Venzolan influence with which it has had a special link as it is one of the closest countries in distance and the biggest step of people from one place has another record. In addition, due to its proximity to Africa, it also has components from the African continent.
Due to the Guanche origin of the Canarian people where barley played an essential role, it is found in their diet in a primordial way.
This is the case of gofio, obtained from roasted barley in which both wheat and corn are currently mixed.
Apart from this, the Guanche diet was based on fruits or vegetables and shellfish from the area. Once the Spaniards arrived and with the conquest of America, ingredients such as potatoes (potatoes), corn and other products began to be used.
- Wrinkled potatoes with mojo: Star dish of the islands. As simple as leaving the potatoes in the bain-marie and eating them with the skin spread in a sauce whose main ingredient is garlic and pimentin or paprika. Li>
- Roast leg: Slowly roasted pork leg. Juicy meat and crispy skin. Li>
- Goat cheese: Because the autochthonous animal that best adapts to the climate was the goat, many products are made from it, both meat and dairy. li>
- Wrinkled potatoes with mojo
- Blanched gofio: Gofio mixed with some sauce, usually of vegetables.
- Old clothes: Food that was made typical for the worker of the Canarian field or in its origin of labor brought from America or Africa. It is composed of chickpeas, shredded meat and potatoes, cow or pork. It also has a sofrito that is usually made with peppers, garlic, onions and spices such as laurel or cloves. Li>
- Fish broths: Broth highlights
- Watercress stew
- Canarian Ranch: Similar to the old clothes, made of chickpeas, fat parties, potatoes and meat.
- Goat meat: Generally cooked over low heat with milk or beer to reduce the flavor of the meat. Cooked with various vegetables and espeical.
- Pork: Used in many of the Canarian dishes made with vegetables mainly.
- Canario Puchero: Equivalent to the Spanish stew, with the difference of the entrance of sweet potatoes and millet on the plate.
- Sancocho Canario: Hehco with desalted cherne. A typical fish of the large islands. It is prepared cooked with potatoes, garlic and some pepper.
Accompanied with gofio and mojo. Typical fish festivities such as Easter.
- Old: Fish with few thorns usually grilled or roasted.
- Churros de pescado: Similar to fried fish from Andalucía. Slightly marinated fish coated with flour and fried over a high heat.
- Tollos: strips of desalted dogfish prepared with a sauce of onion and tomato.
- Limpets: Genarally accompanied by green mojo.
- Brunette fried:
- Imperative is to keep the skin crispy and salty.
- Tuna in adobo
- Gofio: Accompanied in all the typical desserts, especially in the biscuit.
- Bienmesabe canario: Cream made with almonds, syrup, egg yolks, cinnamon and lemon.
- Frangollo: It is made with milk, eggs, sugar, and it can be accompanied with raisins and almonds. But the main ingredient is the millet flour that is linked with the other ingredients.
Wines and liquors
- Ron: So much variety of honey rum, which uses honey that gives a sweet taste and which does not exceed 30 degrees of alcohol like white rum. The most renowned brand is Arehucas whose main wineries are located in the town of Arucas.
- Sweet wine